Why I Want To Study Postgraduate in the UK

 Ever since I was little, I've wanted nothing more than to travel the world. Now that I'm older, i'm realizing that it might be more possible than I thought.

United Kingdom 2023: Best Places to Visit - Tripadvisor

I am going into my senior year at Loyola Maryland as a political science major. Now, this may be annoyingly cliche, but my main area of interest is international relations and international conflict. It would seem almost non-sensical of me to not take the opportunity to apply to postgraduate school abroad. 

One of my closest friends is a philosophy major at St. Andrew's University in Scotland. Recently, he was telling me the benefits of university abroad.

One of the main benefits is the cost. In the UK, graduate programs are nearly a quarter of the cost compared to in the US, where you could be paying upward of $75k in tuition alone per year. In the UK, however, most programs do not exceed $20k in tuition per year, as well as the cost of living being significantly cheaper in most UK cities (excluding London). In addition to that, postgraduate programs in the UK are nearly half the length, with masters programs almost never exceeding a year in duration and PhD programs being roughly 3 or 4 years in duration. Comparing this this the average 2 year master program and 6 year PhD program in the US makes it seem like a no-brainer.

United Kingdom | Enterprise Florida, Inc. (EFI)

Finally, the most obvious reason I would like to study in the UK is because of the variety in viewpoints I would be exposed to. Having livd in America my whole life, I'm positive that moving to a different country would expose me to millions of different opinions that I have yet to be privy to hear. I think, especially pursuing my field of study, having that sense of diversity under my belt would greatly benefit me throughout my career.

Comments