How I Spent my 21st Birthday

 Yesterday was my 21st birthday, but I didn't spend it in the way that most people would assume. 

I started my day off with a five mile run, something I have yet to do this summer, just because I wanted to see if I could (spoiler alert, I nearly passed out). However, I forced myself through it. I felt as though I wanted to start off a new year of my life with better habits, and despite my intense aversion to running, I did it anyways.

Morning vs. evening runs: which are better? - Canadian Running Magazine

I went back to my house, showered, and work on some projects for my classes. not exactly the most exciting way to spend the day, but my homework wasn't going to do itself.

Once I finished up some speeches for my class, I went over to my grandmothers home. I haven't seen her in a few months and that was something that had been weighing pretty greatly on my mind. I always thought myself to be close with my grandmother, so I decided that I wanted to spend my day with her. When I arrived at her cottage, I instantly felt a relief. There she was, sitting in her same chair, listening to her same Elvis Costello record, knitting the same sweater she had been the last time I saw her. My grandmother is not a soft spoken woman by any means, so upon my arrival we launched right into discussing who she likes and dislikes at her assisted living facility, and let's just say that the elderly love drama just as much as teenagers do. I stayed at her place for a few hours, and left in the early evening to join the rest of my family for dinner.

We went to my favorite burger place. When the waitress came round to take my drink order my mom whipped her phone out of her back pocket in order to videotape the interaction. I asked for a Blue Moon draft, an unusual choice, and the waitress didn't even bat an eye (or ask for my ID, much to my mother's dismay). Over burgers and beer my family talked about how excited we all are for the next chapter in life that is awaiting us.

Your Handy Beer and Burger Pairing Guide for Summer

Comments